Changing Your Name After the Wedding

A quick little “How To” article for Rev Pam’s couples. How to change your name after your wedding.Just got hitched and now you want to change your last name. No Problem.  Here’s Rev Pam’s easy 1,2,3.. how to change your name in the state of Illinois, Cook county & Du Page.

  1. You need at least three certified copies. 
    • After the ceremony, the certified officiant will send the signed license to the county where the wedding was performed / license was purchased from which you provided the officiant. Click here for information on HOW TO GET MARRIED FAST IN CHICAGO It usually takes the county ten days for them to file it. Once it is files you can go back to that county and purchase three certified copies.  If you have legalization paperwork to submit by five copies.
    • If you were married by Rev Pam you will receive a blue envelope with a tracking number to confirm its delivery.
    • The Clerk’s office will issue a certified copy of the marriage certificate upon request, but warriage certificates are not automatically sent to couples.
  2. Version two: The couple Files the Paperwork. 
    • One of the two people on the license can take it into the county courthouse and have the paperwork filed. You will wait in line so go early and you will leave with your certificates.
    • While you are there, you need to prove it was filed by obtaining a legal certified copy.  You will need three certified copies to change your name and usually 3-4 for immigration paperwork. If you  buy they all at one time – it is cheaper.
    • You can go to any vital stat department at any courthouse in the same county. and if you need any extra copies later you can just go to currency exchange.
  3. Social Security Office
    • Take one certified copy with your social security card to the social security office. In Chicagoland this could be a long line. 🙂 There you will need to bring in this document  filled out or you can get one at the office when you come in. This PDF details what you need to bring if you wer born outside the US. You will be updating your original SS# to a new name. Show them your certified copy of the marriage license and your original card and your ID.
    • You  must begin the name change process within the first year of marriage
    • Remember – you are updating your current SS# not creating a new one.
  4. Department of Motor Vehicle 
    • Now take a second certified copy with your new SS card to the DMV and they will give you a form to fill out to change your name. wait in line. leave with the license.
    • be prepared if its been awhile you might have to get a new photo too.
    • while your there make sure you update your organ donor information and voters registration name or you may not be able to vote next time around.
    • To participate in Illinois elections, you must register to vote with the Illinois Board of Elections. You may also obtain a voter registration form and register to vote through the IL Secretary of State when you apply for a driver’s license

Cook County Marriage License:

Buy your certified copies one of five ways. Cost is for $15+ additional copies of the same record cost $4 each: (prices from 2018 – check their website for updates)

  1. Order Online A $12.45 processing fee is charged by VitalChek. All major credit cards are accepted.
  2. Order By Phone Call Toll-Free: (866) 252-8974
  3. Write your request to:
    • Cook County Clerk David Orr Bureau of Vital Records P.O. Box 641070 Chicago, IL 60664-1070. Include the following items: a completed Marriage Certificate Request Form* a photocopy of your photo identification a check or money order payable to the Cook County Clerk for $15 (additional copies of the same record cost $4 each) and a self-addressed stamped envelope and your day-time phone number
  4. Go to a local Currency Exchange  Call (847) 759-8905 for Currency Exchange hours and locations in Chicago and suburban Cook County, or
    • There is a $5 surcharge for records obtained at Currency Exchanges.

Du Page County Marriage certificate

$14 for the first copy and $2 for each additional copy of the same certificate, requested at the same time.

  1. IN-PERSON:  Come into the DuPage County Clerk’s Office, 421 N. County Farm Road, Wheaton, IL 60187, Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM and fill out an application.
  2. ON LINE: For your convenience, you can process online requests for marriage certificates through an independent company that the DuPage County Clerk has partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network, Inc. An additional fee of $10.00 is charged by VitalChek for this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® or Visa®.   Place an order directly with VitalChek
  3. BY MAIL: Download Certification of Record of Marriage Application (PDF)
    • Fill out the application and mail it with a check or money order made payable to the DuPage County Clerk to: DuPage County Clerk P.O. Box 1028 Wheaton, IL 60187

 Kane County Marriage Certificate 719 Batavia Ave. Geneva, IL 630-232-5950

Lake County Marriage Certificate

18 N County St. Waukegan, IL 847-360-6568


McHenry County Marriage Certificate North Seminary, Woodstock, IL 815-334-4242

new identification

  • LETS START WITH THE US POST OFFICE. The local post office in Cook county has a State Department office for the purpose of updating your passport information. You do need to go in to make an appointment. When you do they will give you a list of things to bring to that appointment. here is a link to find the closest one
  • while you’re at the post office fill out the address change / name change form and turn that in so they are aware of the name / address change for snail mail delivery.

After updating your identification, you’ll need to notify

  • All employers. This sounds obvious, but it’s needed for new business cards, payroll and withholding tax forms.
  • Your insurance companies (car, health, home, rent, life).
  • All schools, if applicable.
  • Your doctor, dentist, optician, veterinarian, and pharmacist.
  • Your bank or credit union and all other financial institutions, Including IRA Loans Safety Dep. Box 401K stocks and bonds pension
  • All utility companies (electric, phone, cable, gas).
  • Magazine and newspaper circulation departments.
  • State and federal tax departments.
  • Your landlord or mortgage company.
  • Credit card companies.
  • Government assistance programs, if applicable.
  • Veteran Affairs Department, if applicable.
  • Your county tax assessor.
  • Your library.

to avoid possible confusion updating:

  • Car title, lease, car registration and club memberships
  • Will
  • Power of Attorney
  • Health care directive
  • Living trusts

Published by


5Star & Award winning this wedding officiant coined the phrase “Your Wedding YOUR Way” Travels 5 states to perform ceremony or couples wishing to elope or have a small proivate ceremony can get married in the Rev's provate home, Pine Manor. 1920's charm and suburban hospitality, the property has a romantic garden ceremony reception area for up to 30. Same Sex and All denominations welcomed since... 'ALWAYS!"